Go Back   MyHyundaiForums.com > Sonata Forum > Sonata 3rd Gen (EF)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sonata 3rd Gen (EF) Sonata 1999 to 2005

Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Default 2002 Sonata - P0442 EVAP Code Appearing

Monday evening the SO and I bought a 2002 Sonata from a dealership. That evening, we filled the tank and drove it home. Tuesday afternoon, after driving 85 additional miles, the check engine light came on.

We didn't even go home - we went straight to AutoZone to have the codes read. It came back with a "Large" Leak in the Evap System. The AutoZone boy ran down some of the common offenders but, since we'd just filled the tank on the car, we tightened the gas cap, called the dealership to report the problem and drove it around.

Cut to this morning on my way to work when, after 191 more miles, the light came back on. The SO took it back to AutoZone and got a code of P0442 - "Small" Leak in the Evap System. We haven't refueled or touched the gas cap since we cleared the code the first time around.

"The possible errors are...Defective, missing, or loose fuel cap.....EVAP Canister or hose cracked-not connected.........Purge Vent Solenoid defective...........Vacuum leak at engine."

Conventional wisdom says to actually replace the gas cap, unhook the battery to clear the code and drive it around for a few more days to see what happens because it's possible the seal on ours is just that bad and I'm all in favor of that - except that the State of Wisconsin affords car buyers 72 hours to return vehicles - no questions asked. I haven't had time yet to look into how long it gives you if the car is not in the condition stated on the bill of sale, but the impression I get is that I don't have much of it. I have a call into the dealership that sold the vehicle in hopes that they won't fight us on having their mechanic take a look at it without charging us, but I'm not holding my breath.

If we have to fix this ourselves, can anyone tell me what the likely culprits might be given this model? I know there was a recall on the Fuel Assembly Valve - I doubt it's related but if the VIN still needs the work, we'll take it into the nearest Hyundai dealership and hope the mechanic stumbles on the solution to our other problem if we have to :P

Also, I so sympathize with the poor little blue guy - because that's what car shopping has been doing to me :P
The Following User Says Thank You to bitterepiphany For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (06-19-2009)
Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Site Administrator

Owns: 2009 Hyundai Genesis
My Mood: Cheerful
Thanked 2,359 Times in 1,318 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Admin1
Thumbs up

Welcome here!!

I feel your pain! What I have seen with that car is a couple things,
The gas cap has been a problem with that model an year! Does it seem
a little hard to tighten the gas cap or loosen the cap? What usuly happen with the cap it get too hard to tighten an the clicker clicks to earley causing the cap not to fully tighten. This will cause this code! What makes me think that is because you got gas an tighten cap, Code P0455(large evap leak) came up, You tighten cap an then code P0456,P0442(small evep leak) came back, With that said that makes me believe that the gas cap is the problem.
Also I have seen the Purge valve stick open as well, But with that Usuly you feel up the car at the station an its hard to start.
If the Close valve is stuck open It most likly will cause a different code P0446 CCV code!
Now about this recall If you PM me with your cars VIN# I can look it through Hyundai an see it has been done on that car!
MyHyundaiForums Chat Room
Old 06-19-2009, 03:14 PM

I think I love you. No, seriously, there is a VERY inappropriate Christmas card coming your way....

The SO is sleeping at the moment but I'll have him get the VIN and PM it to you and we'll replace the gas cap and make sure to really torque the thing.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Site Administrator

Well your very welcome! I did check your Vin no open recalls os of right now! Make sure you use a Factory Gas cap! If you want I can get you a Part# for the cap!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM

That would be even better!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Site Administrator

My Mood: Sad

I am glad we were able to help you! Just out of curiosity what does SO mean? I have been trying and trying to think.... If it's a new word we can call our guys I def want to know! LOL
Old 06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterepiphany View Post
That would be even better!
The Hyundai gas cap part# is 31010-38200 an is under 20 bucks! you do want to make sure you use a Hyundai one, if you dont you will get a service light again!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 PM

Thanks! We'll pick one up tonight

Oh, and HyundaiWifey - SO = Significant Other. He hates it when I call him that, but DH (Dear Husband) always seemed way too saccharine to me :P
The Following User Says Thank You to bitterepiphany For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (06-20-2009)
Old 06-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterepiphany View Post
Thanks! We'll pick one up tonight

Oh, and HyundaiWifey - SO = Significant Other. He hates it when I call him that, but DH (Dear Husband) always seemed way too saccharine to me :P

Oh ok!! I didnt know either! lol