Go Back   MyHyundaiForums.com > Accent Forum > Accent 2nd Gen (LC)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Accent 2nd Gen (LC) Accent 2000 to 2005

Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 PM

Owns: 2001 Accent
Default Fuel Fill Problems

My little 01 Accent has had some fuel fill issues. The gas pump clicks off after approximately 2 gallons....

We tried several different gas pumps, multiple stations, no better.

If you patiently keep pumping gas into it, it will eventually take a full tank of gas.

The fuel gauge is operating properly, apparently....

So I think there is an obstruction in the fuel filler tube and/or the vent hose that comes from the gas tank into the back of the fuel filler fitting. It's causing some pressure to build up in the fuel filler tube that clicks off a standard fuel pump.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? Does this guy have some kind of screen or something just below the filler cap that might be full of gunk? Does this sound like a problem with the vent hose? Will a shot of compressed air blow this thing out?

I have some theories but want to see if anyone else has had this problem before I take this little guy apart......

We have awhile to think about it, because we just got it full and of course will need to wait until this guy gets down to about half full before I try to take off that hose....

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to jshell55 For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (12-24-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Site Administrator

Owns: 2009 Hyundai Genesis
My Mood: Cheerful
Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,320 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Admin1

Welcome Here!
I think your right. You probably do have a restiction in the vent system. What you will need to do is get to the Evap Canister Assy. Its located by the left rear wheel. Most of the time the filter gets plugged up causing pressure to build in the fuel tank when putting fuel in car. If the filter is not plugged up most likely the canister is. Also Check out this TSB Click Here This TSB has some real good diagrams of how the system works! Here is a photo of the canister assy.
MyHyundaiForums Chat Room
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin1 For This Useful Post:
Rsquared (12-24-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 06:20 PM

Hey, thanks!

This makes some sense. I crawled under that thing the other day and did notice where that module is/was.

Still gotta get the kid to drive that thing around for awhile and run some of the gas out of it before I try to do anything to it, but I will report back if and when I try to tackle it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jshell55 For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (12-24-2009)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Update:

I let the kid run the gas tank down to below half, to avoid any spillage issues, and jacked up the rear of the vehicle and removed the drivers side tire. The cartridge is located on the right side just behind the fuel filler hose.

The canister can be removed by removing three 10-mm bolts that bolt this thing to the body, and using a pair of cheap pliers to take off the plastic hoses that run to the gas tank and also to the fuel fill cap. This will allow the canister to drop down so you can get at the top of it, where the charcoal filter is.

The first hose I took off I noticed a lot of black pellets, the activated charcoal, had backed up into the line between the canister and the fuel fill cap.

Then, you have to remove the nuts that hold the cover onto the canister. This was a bit of a PITA because the little nuts that hold the cover on were rusted on, and it took a few minutes to put enough pressure on the back side to loosen them up.

After some work, I was able to get this thing all the way off, remove the plastic protecting cover, and remove the actual cartridge. More of the activated charcoal pellets fell out onto the floor.

I removed the cover to the little air pump that pressurized the system, and inspected it. Nothing to see here.

Removed the rest of the hoses, and took the canister/cartridge down to the Advance Auto and also NAPA and they informed me that it was a dealer item, to replace it you have to go to Hyundai.

Decided to put it back together to see what would happen. This was a lot more easily accomplished than the removal. Before doing this, I blew through all of the hoses and also all of the hoses in the canister to make sure there was at least some air flow.

Reassembled the whole thing: success! The fillup problems were cured. Evidently enough of those pellets had gotten into the vent tube for the gas tank to obstruct the venting.

In a few days the engine light went off, and a few more days, it went back on. I suppose I will have to actually buy the new canister before I get it inspected for air pollution next year.....

So the outcome is not completely decided yet but it did fix the fuel fill up problem and we are running again.

Note: Do not leave the little activated charcoal pellets lying around on your clean garage floor because if you do, they will get all over, and when you drive your car over them they will be crushed and leave a lot of nasty black powder around and it will be five times as hard to clean them up. Clean them up promptly at the completion of your job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jshell55 For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (01-19-2010), Rallyman (01-19-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Site Administrator

Well I'm glad you found your problem! But it does look like your going to have to replace your canister assy. If you need help getting part numbers PM me your cars vin an all get it for you! Thanks for posting back too!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Owns: 2006 Sonata GL V6
My Mood: Fine

Glad to hear the problem is taken care of for the time being. Thanks for updating us on the situation, too. It will be helpful when somebody else has the same situation in the future.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Owns: Hyundai Accent
My Mood: Daring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyman View Post
Glad to hear the problem is taken care of for the time being. Thanks for updating us on the situation, too. It will be helpful when somebody else has the same situation in the future.
which is me!! haha ..but my car never had the CEL on ..just needs a little cleanup because its getting very annoying at the gas tank!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Owns: Hyundai Accent
My Mood: Daring

can it just be vaccumm out any dirt?
i have a theory of stickin' a vaccum hose in the gas tank wen its empty

is it a good idea or bad?
or should i do wat its posted above
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 AM
RIP good friend!

Owns: 2002 Accent GL 1.6L DOHC
My Mood: Angelic
Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose16 View Post
can it just be vaccumm out any dirt?
i have a theory of stickin' a vaccum hose in the gas tank wen its empty

is it a good idea or bad?
or should i do wat its posted above
Even if you run the car out of gas, there will still be some in the tank. So if you try it don't use a vacuum until the tank is completely void of fuel and vapors.

DON'T use an electric vacuum if fuel can be sucked up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rsquared For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (01-29-2010), Rallyman (01-29-2010)
Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Site Administrator

I'm with Rsquared! Not safe! Even if you could do this there are lots of baffles in the tank that you couldn't get around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin1 For This Useful Post:
Rallyman (01-29-2010)

Tags
filler hose, fuel system, fuel tank hose, vent hose