Go Back   MyHyundaiForums.com > Sonata Forum > Sonata 5th Gen (YF)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sonata 5th Gen (YF) Sonata 2011 an up

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Site Administrator

Owns: 2009 Hyundai Genesis
My Mood: Cheerful
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,320 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Admin1

Its hard to tell unless you start the car an look at the hose an see if its collapsed.
MyHyundaiForums Chat Room
Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Owns: 2011 Sonata Limited

The fuel odor displayed a range of intensities. Sometimes it was very slight and other times it was very strong. It occurred a few different ways, and it was not constant. It would occur when I would come to a stop at a stoplight, or driving slowly such as in rush hour traffic. When parking the car at a store for example, when I got back in, I would smell it immediately upon driving off. I could also smell the fuel in my garage (very strong) when I parked the car. The Dealer found the collapsed PCV hose. They did a temporary fix until the correct backordered part comes in. I'm on day 3 and no fuel smell. I had the oil changed too. The Dealer said it had a strong odor of gas in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveL332 For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (02-25-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Owns: 2011 Sonata GLS
My Mood: Cool

Anyone have the smell at 60mph on the highway?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 AM

Owns: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited

My PCV hose does not appear to be collapsed, but I really can not tell under the thick foam surrounding most of it. And now my sense of smell for the gasoline smell is heightened, and have not smelled it until today. Drive 2 hours on the interstate (and no I have not smelled the gasoline fume smell while driving 60 mph, or 80 or 45.) then take our exit and sit at the red light for a few minutes and bam, overwhelming gasoline fume smell in the car. Enough that my friend riding with me said something, even though I did not say anything. And get on the 45mph stop and go traffic on Rt 59 (suburbs of Chicago area), most of the stop lights that you have to sit and wait, you get a good whiff of the raw gasoline fumes, and yes different intensities each time too.
These gasoline fumes are coming from the fuel tank vapor recovery system, not the PCV. PCV would have exhaust blow by which does not smell like raw gasoline. However, when looking at the diagrams for the fuel vapor purge solenoid, when it is activated, the stored up gasoline vapor (fumes) are purged into the intake manifold (somewhere else, not the PCV hose).

But, if SteveL332 says the temporary fix of the PCV hose has eliminated the odor, then that must be it. I am surprised why that would solve the problem though.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Owns: 1991 Toyota MR2
My Mood: Confused

I was confused about this smell. Mine has started to smell like exhaust oil. It smells like an engine head when you pull the valve cover off so I didn't associate it to what people were saying about fuel. Mine DEFINITELY does NOT smell like fuel.

So this morning I inspected the PVC hose. Looked fine. Did my errands with the kiddos and my boy tossed his Diesel the train on the floor and wanted it back. So I pulled into a parking lot and retrieved it for him. I smelled the smell and decided this is a good time to reinspect. I did and the hose is collapsed. So for those that are checking the hose, make sure you drive the car until you smell your smell and THEN inspect the hose.

I drove past Superior Hyundai and explained the issue, which they knew about. Went through a courtesy check of the hose (still collapsed) while in the check in bay, wrote me up and sent me on my way. That's TWO great experiences.

My hose was collapsed on the LOWER part near the block. It was collapsed between the block and the start of the BOTTOM of the foam hose overlay.

I put a temp fix on the car so that Hyundai and I don't have to worry about long term engine damage.

The engine block nipple side is 1.125 long. If you can get a 1/2" OD tube roughly 1.25 inches, you will be great. It will slide inside the PVC tube snugly and that's all you should have to do.

If you splice it, you will need a 5/8" OD tube so that the two cut ends will be a tighter fit and you will need either two clamps or two zip ties to very tightly secure it. I got a copper fitting at Home Depot (Shark Fittings?) It has barbed ends on either side. I measured out 1.125 inches from the engine side of the hose (So that the hose can go back all the way on) and then measured my fitting and gave 1/8" distance between the fitting and the nipple and cut the PVC tube. Inserted my fitting and clamped either end and re-installed.
2007 Rav 4 2AZ-FE (Good RIDDANCE)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bearcats For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (03-01-2011), mharr (11-22-2011), Rsquared (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 12:33 AM

Owns: 2011 Sonata Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2carz View Post
My PCV hose does not appear to be collapsed, but I really can not tell under the thick foam surrounding most of it. And now my sense of smell for the gasoline smell is heightened, and have not smelled it until today. Drive 2 hours on the interstate (and no I have not smelled the gasoline fume smell while driving 60 mph, or 80 or 45.) then take our exit and sit at the red light for a few minutes and bam, overwhelming gasoline fume smell in the car. Enough that my friend riding with me said something, even though I did not say anything. And get on the 45mph stop and go traffic on Rt 59 (suburbs of Chicago area), most of the stop lights that you have to sit and wait, you get a good whiff of the raw gasoline fumes, and yes different intensities each time too.
These gasoline fumes are coming from the fuel tank vapor recovery system, not the PCV. PCV would have exhaust blow by which does not smell like raw gasoline. However, when looking at the diagrams for the fuel vapor purge solenoid, when it is activated, the stored up gasoline vapor (fumes) are purged into the intake manifold (somewhere else, not the PCV hose).

But, if SteveL332 says the temporary fix of the PCV hose has eliminated the odor, then that must be it. I am surprised why that would solve the problem though.
The issue I was having was definately a gasoline odor. The first time I could smell it was right after I filled up with fuel. At first I wrote it off as possibly stepping in some fuel that was on the ground and I tracked it into my car. But then the odor remained to varying intensities. It was definately fuel and not exhaust.

It's been a week since the "temporary" fix and still no fuel odor at all. I was having the fuel odor each time I came to a stop (Route 59 traffic lights too!! and while the car was parked in my garage. I heard multiple times from the wife about how the garage stunk like gasoline! So far so good on the temporary fix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveL332 For This Useful Post:
Admin1 (03-01-2011), Rsquared (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 AM

Owns: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited

OK, I checked the PCV hose with the engine at idle after about a 30 minute drive and it was totally collapsed at the end near the intake manifold. So I was going to try a temporary fix with 5/16" ID hose, but no way was it going over the 1/2" OD plastic fitting on the intake manifold side. (Fitting 1/4" OD on the PCV side). Looking at the hose, the end near the intake manifold side is 1/2" ID and 1/4" ID on the PCV valve side. Where the hose necks down from 1/2" to 1/4" it is very soft. Poor material choice.

Do we have a part number for the redesigned hose yet? I just don't have time to get into the shop for another month or two! 4,600 miles, and it is only 5 weeks old.
The Following User Says Thank You to n2carz For This Useful Post:
Rsquared (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Site Administrator

Owns: 2009 Hyundai Genesis
My Mood: Cheerful
Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,320 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Admin1

Alright. In the last two weeks I've been checking PCV hoses on all 11 YF's while doing services to them. I can say that nearly 80% of them with more than 20k on them has hose issues. In my opinion this is going to be a big deal with Hyundai. Also as of this morning the hose is still not advaliable.
MyHyundaiForums Chat Room
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admin1 For This Useful Post:
MisterRoy (03-01-2011), Rsquared (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 AM

Owns: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin1 View Post
Alright. In the last two weeks I've been checking PCV hoses on all 11 YF's while doing services to them. I can say that nearly 80% of them with more than 20k on them has hose issues. In my opinion this is going to be a big deal with Hyundai. Also as of this morning the hose is still not advaliable.
Big deal as in "oh crap" or big deal as in "they're gonna be all over fixing this one?"
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 AM
RIP good friend!

Owns: 2002 Accent GL 1.6L DOHC
My Mood: Angelic
Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRoy View Post
Big deal as in "oh crap" or big deal as in "they're gonna be all over fixing this one?"
BOTH.