Go Back   MyHyundaiForums.com > Santa Fe Forum > Santa Fe 1st Gen (SM)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Santa Fe 1st Gen (SM) Santa Fe 2001 to 2006

Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 AM

Owns: 2005 sante fe
My Mood: Tired
Default ABS bleed workaround UPDATE

Hi
I have a 2005 Santa Fe. I had brake fluid leaking from my ABS TCS unit. I found 2 what appear to be bleeder screws on the bottom of the unit, one was leaking. Upon inspection, there was an o-ring thad had gone bad. A new o-ring and i've got tight brakes again.
However, (isn't there always a however) removing the bleeder allowed a lot of brake fluid to spill out of the ABS control module, probably letting air in. According to the manual, the ABS has to be cycled with a "Hi-Scan Pro data link adapter" to get all the air out of the nooks and crannies.
Does anybody have a work around for this or do I finally have to take this to the dealer?

Thanks
Bill

Update:

A little more research turned up this website:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...s_systems.aspx

If you scroll to near the bottom to "Generic ABS Bleed Techniques" , that is exactly what I did. Drove to a nearby gravel road, hit the brakes hard a few times until the pedal got soft again, did a final bleed, and brakes are as good as new-ABS works perfectly.

Hope this can help someone else.

Last edited by bill b; 12-31-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-30-2010, 02:32 AM

Owns: Corolla

You want to run the HECU for bleeding, then Hi-Scan or GDS is the only way around it..

If you going to pay for clearing the thing, you may just as well flush/pressure bleed the entire system so we have new clean claer fluid in the master, lines, and calipers,,, then pay for the HECU bleed process.